Immediately’s morning letter will probably be dropped at you from the Port of Québec. The Port of Québec Metropolis has been the gateway to North America for hundreds of years. The development of Laurentia, the absolutely intermodal deep-water container terminal, will revive an vital commerce hyperlink for immediately and tomorrow. Be taught extra.
You’ll be able to hearken to immediately’s letter right here:
Good morning and have a pleasant Star Wars Day.
– – Rodriguez caught cursing on a scorching microphone: Home chief Pablo Rodriguez was caught swearing throughout Query Time yesterday when opposition MPs questioned Liberals about their dealing with of sexual misconduct allegations in opposition to Basic Jonathan Vance. Rodriguez, who was just about there, seems to have believed he was muted when he stated, “Oh, did you ship that to Sajjan on a query to the Secretary of Protection slightly than to MP Karen McCrimmon?”
The Canadian press stated: “Commons spokesman Anthony Rota stated the Home deserved an apology, whoever made the comment. Rodriguez instantly got down to be the supply of the “unacceptable” language and apologized. “
– – Kady O’Malley writes in iPolitics AM: “Because the Conservatives put together to spend a full day debating whether or not or to not name longtime Chief of Employees Katie Telford over her alleged position within the ongoing controversy over how his workplace dealt with an allegation of 2018 wrongdoing in opposition to the time , ought to discharge. Protection Employees Chief Jonathan Vance, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, heads up the hill to carry out on the morning COVID-19 info line. “
– – The federal authorities will change the broadcasting invoice: Minister of Cultural Heritage Steven Guilbeault stated the federal government would suggest an modification to make “crystal clear” that content material uploaded by people to social media isn’t ruled by Invoice C-10. The announcement follows a backlash from politicians and consultants who warned of attainable freedom of expression violations beneath proposed adjustments to the Broadcasting Act to control content material from platforms like Netflix and Spotify.
– – Kenney will announce further restrictions immediately: Alberta Prime Minister Jason Kenney stated he was upset by a weekend rodeo that brazenly opposed public well being measures. Immediately he’ll announce new guidelines for the province that’s believed to have the best COVID-19 charge within the nation.
– – NACI recommendation creates confusion and anger: The Nationwide Advisory Committee on Immunization has come beneath fireplace after contradicting recommendation Canadians have been receiving for weeks in regards to the various kinds of COVID vaccines. Pfizer / BioNTech and Moderna vaccines had been labeled “most well-liked” to Johnson & Johnson or Oxford / AstraZeneca. Prime Minister Trudeau has been saying for weeks that the most effective vaccine is “the primary one you might be supplied”. Medical doctors, consultants and confused residents used social media to precise their frustration.
– – The households of the victims are calling for Invoice C-21 to be recast: Family members and colleagues of these killed in shootings at Dawson Faculty and Concordia College in Montreal despatched a letter to Liberal MPs asking them to rewrite the “hole” federal arms legislation.
“Invoice C-21 is an insult to all victims of gun violence,” they wrote, expressing issues in regards to the “tens of 1000’s of absolutely purposeful killing machines” which the proposed laws is more likely to “stay in personal arms”.
– – The Halifax Discussion board honors Taiwan’s presidents: Tsai Ing-wen, the President of Taiwan, was awarded the John McCain Prize for Public Service Management by the Halifax Worldwide Safety Discussion board final night time, regardless of the federal authorities urging the group not to take action. The federal authorities is the sponsor of the annual occasion. Two US senators wrote to Trudeau final month to assist the awarding of the award to the Taiwanese president.
– – The 2021 census has began: Statistics Canada began its first pandemic census yesterday. Canada’s chief statistician stated it was an much more vital second to find out how folks reside, study, work and commute.
Information tip? Tell us: [email protected]
AROUND THE WORLD
– – India’s COVID disaster: Delhi has known as within the military to assist town address a lethal wave of the pandemic. Throughout the nation, aspiring medical doctors and nurses have been withdrawn from exams to fight the surge. Heartbreaking pictures are popping up in Delhi and throughout India.
In the meantime, the nation is slated to obtain 220 million doses of vaccine over the following a number of months from its personal serum institute, which might cowl 8 % of the inhabitants. Pfizer can also be hoping for accelerated approval in India.
– – Colombia is making ready for additional unrest: At the very least 16 demonstrators and one police officer had been killed in clashes after 5 days of protest in opposition to a deliberate tax reform in Colombia. President Iván Duque has rejected the proposed reform that will have raised taxes for people and firms. The demonstrations are anticipated to proceed this week.
– – Invoice and Melinda Gates are getting divorced. After 27 years of marriage, the ultra-wealthy couple stated they not consider that they’ll “develop collectively as a pair.” Invoice Gates, co-founder of Microsoft, is at present the fourth richest particular person on the earth, valued at $ 124 billion. The 2 stated they might proceed to work collectively on the Invoice and Melinda Gates Basis to struggle infectious illnesses and local weather change.
– – Elsewhere: Verizon sells AOL and Yahoo. Germany cancels the Oktoberfest once more. France recorded the bottom each day COVID depend in over six months. India and the UK have signed a £ 1 billion commerce deal. The variety of migrants touring to Europe from Tunisia is rising and the bulk at the moment are from sub-Saharan Africa. 30 folks had been killed in an assault in Burkina Faso. Humanitarian teams say 1000’s of youngsters in Tigray have been separated from their dad and mom. At the very least 23 folks had been killed after a subway overpass collapsed in Mexico Metropolis. And Mexico apologized to the Maya folks for historic abuses.
IN OTHER HEADLINES
WHAT WE READ
ICYMI FROM IPOLITICS
BOX OF THE DAY
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service caught a 240-pound sturgeon that may very well be greater than 100 years previous. The practically 10-foot lengthy fish believed to be a feminine was rapidly launched again into the Detroit River.